Historic Sites in Scarborough Heights
Links for Toronto Links
Scarboro Heights Record
Search This Site
Table of Contents
Social Studies -- Prehistoric Toronto
Using the McCowan Aboriginal Artifact Collection
As a Learning Resource
Selwyn Public School
Grade 5 -- May 20 2005
Instructor: D.B. McCowan
Introduce the Agenda
Define two Keywords in the handout
Who lived here before the pioneers and what did they do?
- Keywords List (Listening Skills -- Important "Inputs") (The
"Meaning" column is blank in the handout).
- Take 1 minute to look over the keyword Handout.
- It is always good when you start on a topic to think about what you already know about
the topic and, better still, to write it down.
- Each of you pick two keywords and write down what you think they mean. Take about one
- You should fill in the blank column in the handout with the keyword definitions as we go
through this class, so you have to listen carefully.
Keywords Handout(Meaning Column is Empty in the Handout)
||In general, an aspect or property of something, especially
||The "fourth" dimension -- our time line.
||Early settlers, typically before 1830.
||To come into or arrive here.
||What happened before today.
||What happened before people learned to write. (Comment on
oral history of the native Canadians.)
||Proof, but the evidence must be verified first.
||Anything that we can learn from: Ethnological,
Archaeological, Architectural, Natural, Archival (and explain each)
||To analyze; then draw some conclusions.
||To be there or live there.
||To stay only temporarily. To move on for various reasons.
||Care during infancy, warmth, nutrition (air, water, food).
||Material things that we really dont need.
||Change over time.
Draw Timeline on board showing items that we did not have going back a few generations
-- discuss some of our "wants".
What did we not have at the following times:
- 1970 -- Personal computers
- 1940 -- TV
- 1900 -- cars
- 1800 -- trains
- 1700 -- people barely satisfied their needs -- shelter, food and water
What was it like here for the pioneers?
- No electric lights
- No indoor plumbing
10,000 Years Ago -- Timeline goes around the room several times:
- Who lived here before the pioneers?
- Evidence that Toronto was occupied 10,000 years ago
- What did they do?
- Learning Resource -- the arrowheads
- Importance of water: Lake Iroquois provided basic need: nutrition
- What was in the water -- fish
- Skinning knife
- Hunters and gatherers: wild animals, berries and certain roots
- Evolve: discover new things, learn about new relationships
- They had to move around first to find animals and then to find better soil
1,000 Years Ago
- Early farmers: maize / turnips
- Pottery shard
- Pipe bowl: grew tobacco
Your Conclusions -- Journal Entry
- Write 100 words about the difference between Needs and Wants. Give clear examples.