Name of Historic Site
William Cornell Farm
Lot 18 Concession C (south end) Scarborough (near the foot of Markham Road at the Scarborough Bluffs, bounded by Lake Ontario on the south, pre-historic Lake Iroquois shoreline on the north, lot 17 on the east and the allowance for Markham Road on the west).
Perly's 1997 Map Coordinates: 37, D5 (Heathfield Dr.)
Current Use: The area is presently residential.
Historical Description and Significance
One of Scarborough's earliest European era pioneers, William Cornell, squatted at this location in about 1800. Here he planted Scarborough's first orchard in about 1802. In 1801, in cooperation with others, he cut the original alignment of Kingston Road along this portion of the lakefront below the Lake Iroquois shoreline. He purchased the property in about 1809. Bricks were made on Cornell's farm at an early period. (In about 1820 William Cornell set up a potash works near Bellamy Road and Kingston Road.) The 130 acre south portion of the Cornell holding was tenanted by Robert McCowan ca 1845-1855.
NOTE: The existing Cornell house and outbuildings on the north side of Kingston Road are not on the site of the "William Cornell Farm" Lost Toronto Site. Also note that the "Cornell House Museum" in Thomson Memorial Park was NOT from this "Lost Site".
Relative Importance: Modest
Plaques: European occupation (1800); first orchard in Scarborough; early road alignment
Aug. 3 2000 and Reprinted in The Scarboro Heights Record V10 #2